How Long Can You Stay in Canada?


A Canadian visa permits people from foreign countries to come in and stay in Canada for up to six months. The reasons for visiting Canada can vary greatly depending on the respective situations. Some people visit Canada to visit friends and family, whereas others visit for medical purposes. People also visit Canada for higher studies or just to tour the world-famous tourist attractions in Canada. In any case, getting a tourist visa is mandatory.

Let us dive further into the visitor visa and let us see what options it gives foreign nationals.

Unless you belong to a country that is visa-exempt, you will need to acquire a visitor visa(often called a temporary resident, or TRV) for entering Canada. If you intend to apply for a study or a work permit, then the TRV has to be included as an essential part of your application. In a situation where you only intend on visiting Canada, then you can only apply simply for a visitor visa. It is important here to see which countries have agreements with Canada that permit their citizens and residents to visit Canada without acquiring a visitor visa.

List of Visa-Exempt Countries:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • British citizens
  • British nationals
  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Saint Helena
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hongkong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • NewZealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States Citizens
  • Vatican City State

If you are not a citizen of any of the countries listed above, you can opt for one of the two different kinds of visitor visas. A visitor visa can be granted for up to six months, but each case is different and the visa immigration officer decides on the duration of the visa.

Single-entry tourist visa

The single-entry tourist visa allows people from other countries to visit Canada once.

Multiple entry tourist visa

Multiple entry tourist visa allows multiple entries in Canada within the specified time span of the visa.

You can also qualify for the super visa, which is for parents and grandparents if you have children/grandchildren living in Canada. The super visa permits a stay for up to two years at a time, which enables you to spend more time with your loved ones and close ones. You can also benefit from the option of extending your visitor visa while being still inside Canada and your temporary visa status still valid. In cases where you have completed the extension application before your visa expires, you can still remain in Canada under implied status, till the time when your application is processed.

If you are planning to visit Canada for business purposes, you need to obtain a business visitor visa, which is not for temporary foreign workers. The people willing to enter Canada for working or business-related visits will need to get a separate work permit. This permit is required to directly engage in the Canadian labor market.

What if you do belong from a visa-exempt country, what do you need then? Here is what you need.

The people who are traveling to Canada from visa-exempt countries will not require a visit visa for entering the country. They can enter the country for a period of up to 6 months. However, you still need an electronic Travel Authorization(eTA) from the government of Canada if you are traveling by airplane. Those visiting via sea or land will not require an eTA at all.

How to obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (eTA)?

Obtaining an eTA is an easy task, the applications are affordable and processed rapidly. You can easily obtain an eTA by visiting the official Canadian government website and adding the required information and paying a fee of $7 CAD. The application processing time ranges from a few minutes to several days, so be on the safe side and apply well before your flight. The eTA is valid for 5 years or in other cases till your passport expires. If you are an international student or a temporary worker, you will automatically be issued an eTA with your study/work permit.

If you are interested to learn more about immigrating to Canada, feel free to reach out to us, and we will be happy to discuss your future options!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top